1. How do you feel about being selected as our Bokksu Member Spotlight?
I’m excited! I’ve been subscribing to Bokksu almost since the beginning and have loved getting a new set of surprises each month.
2. What do you find most exciting about Japanese snacks?
I really enjoy the different flavors and textures when compared to American snacks. I get to try things that I don’t typically have access to at home.
3. What made you fall in love with Japanese snacks?
My boyfriend and I were planning a trip to Korea and Japan and saw that Danny was just starting up this service. We wanted to get a taste of what we could expect when we got to Japan, and so I subscribed. After the trip, it has been fun to sometimes get a little snack in our Bokksu that we had while we were on that vacation.
4. What was your favorite snack and/or favorite theme in our past boxes?
That is a hard question. I have loved so many of the snacks. I would say that I really love tea, so when there are tea themed boxes or snacks (like matcha), I really like those. I also have enjoyed the breads a lot (like the Natural Yeast Bread Hokkaido Cream).
5. On average, how long does your Bokksu last before you finish the whole box?
Well, I usually try one of each snack pretty quickly, within a day or 2. I also try to save one of each for my boyfriend, but some of them don’t last long enough (meaning I eat them before he gets home from work!). And then I try to ration the rest until the next box comes so we are not without snacks for a whole month!
6. What Japanese snack would you like to see in a future Bokksu?
I would like to see more tea themed snacks, maybe influenced by some of the darker tea varieties they have in Japan. More mochi is never bad either!
7. What is a future theme you would like to see Bokksu do?
I love to see how other cultures interpret various cuisines from around the world vs. how those cuisines are interpreted in the US. So, it would be cool to see a theme where the snacks are Japanese interpretations of snacks/flavors from another country.
8. How would you describe the feeling you get when you’re about to open your Bokksu?
Always excited and hungry. I want to see all the variety in there and try as much as possible - which also makes me feel a little guilty :-)
9. Where in Japan would you like to visit one day? Why?
I’ve been to Japan once and spent 10 days going from Hiroshima to Kyoto to Tokyo (with a lot of little stops in between). So, I would really like to explore more of the Northern and Western parts of Japan. The food was amazing and the people were so nice, so I can’t wait to go back one day soon.
10. What is one Japanese food you just can’t get enough of (doesn’t have to be a Bokksu snack)?
Ramen – I know, it’s such a trend these days, but I love it!