Play At Home
What you’ll need:
- A tub that can carry water (bathtubs or plugged sinks work, so does any kind of large bowl)
- Wire (something strong enough to hold its shape, but flexible) and cutters
- A can
- Notebook paper
- Liquid Glue
- An apple cut into small pieces (*ahem* your “goldfish”)
- A bowl to catch your “goldfish”
- Prizes of your choice for the successful scoopers
To make your poi (paper nets), take a length of wire and wrap it around your can once to shape it, leaving a few inches on either end to form a handle. Twist the ends together so you have a circle on one end and remove the can. Trace the circle onto a piece of paper and cut just a bit wider than the circle you traced. Now put a couple dots of glue along the wire circle and press it into the paper circle so it sticks before tracing the paper edge outside of the wire with more glue, and press to wrap around the wire circle. Let dry.
Now just add your apple pieces to the tub of clean water and voila! Goldfish. The trick is to scoop them into a bowl without completely breaking your net. It takes skill! You might want to make some extra nets until you get the hang of it.
If you prefer, you can also find small plastic nets and replacement papers online from some sellers, but we’re crafty here and wanted to make sure anyone could try this without special materials.
If you give this game a whirl we’d love to hear how it goes! Leave a comment here or @ us on social media @bokksu!